Even more here: www.clemenssuter.com


The Marvelous Secret Art of Whistling

“Stop whistling, Clemens. Only laborers whistle,” my great friend and teacher Christian K. used to say. However, Christian was Austrian, and like many citizens from that cutlet-shaped country,  leaned towards eccentricity. Highly sympathetic but thank you for the advice no thanks: this is a beneficial strategy in such circumstances.

I am glad I listened to most of Christian‘s advice, but ignored this particular insight.

Many years later I had an eye opening experience with music. As a birthday present, my wife gave me an accordeon training. A crash course with a professional acordeon player, Dale King was the gentleman’s name. At the end of which I walked from the experience with the rewarding conclusion that I could, and would, never be able to play ANY musical instrument. Except for a CD player or smartphone, my limbs are unable to extract any melodious or rhythmic sound from any instrument.

But I can whistle. Whereas my singing capabilities are limited (there is some truth in the statement that everybody can and should sing), my whistling borders on the level of virtuoso. The tunes that Yehudi Menuin could squeeze from his Stradivari after long years of tortuous practice, effortlessly leave my two lips with no practice at all (a few heretics, like my family members, disagree with this assessment).

Whistling – it truly seems to be a secret art. I couldn’t find any article or reference  about the effect of whistling on well-being, physical health, war and piece, the economy or whatsoever. There are no lists of famous Hollywood actors or politicians that indulge in this activity.

But I LOVE it. In fact, here comes Puccini’s Madame Butterfly. Beats my vocal version by a length.

Read more here: http://clemenssuter.com/books

img00116 20110123 1948

If you look carefully you can spot a whistling mouth hidden in this amputed lowers limb 

 

 

 

 

No comments: